keaimato

Canadian, U.S., and international politics; and life in general. Heck, whatever strikes my fancy...

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Ignatief is done

I have no hard evidence to support my hunch, but I'm convinced that the Liberal leadership front runner is done.  He did tremendous damage to himself with the Qana war crime comment, and then it got worse the more he tried to explain it.  Now he is going to Israel, guaranteeing that the comment, and more importantly his political flip flop on the issue, will be covered even more extensively over the next couple of weeks.
 
He may not lose much more support among his delegate over it, but the gaffe (both his statement and how he's handling reaction to it) is likely to galvanize the "anyone but Iggy" movement.  There is going to be one anyway, because Ignatief is further right than most Liberals anyway, but this comment shows that he is just not very polished or experienced as a politician. 
 
Who benefits?  Whoever finishes number 2 after the first ballot.  If that's Bob Rae, then look for Liberals who want a more left wing guy anyway (Kennedy and Drydon supporters) to jump right away.  I have now idea where Dion supports go, but I can't see him winning or his support going wholesale to Ignatief, so look for it to be a showdown between Iggy and Rae, and Rae to win. 
 
There - my prediction is in.  Harper vs. Rae in 2007.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Micky said…

    I will stick with Kennedy as the pick. If there is indeed an anyone by Ignatieff movement, I don't see why the second place guy is the obvious benificiary.

    I agree with the 2007 part though.

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How well-liked is Rae in Ontario? I thought that their last bunch of premiers had all been kicked out of office by the voters.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger jdp said…

    Rae isn't well liked in Ontario at this stage, but he has been working on rehabilitating his image over the past 10 years. But it still remains a big weakness, and I doubt he is likely to stir much passion in Quebec either. My hunch is he will be popular in BC, SK, and MB, provinces more likely to elect NDP governments...

    He is flawed, but I figure the Ignatief repulsion will be pretty strong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home